Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bookworms

I was minding my own business, probably unloading dishes from the dishwasher or some such thing when I realized it was oddly quiet in Ben and Izzie's room. When I peeked around the corner I expected to see them getting into trouble. (I'm not sure how - there's really nothing they can hurt in their room except each other...) But instead I saw this:

Ben is really reading, and Izzie...

Well...

Almost...

She has become very interested in books in the past couple of weeks. She used to bring you a book and that would be the extent of it. You might not even have time to get it open or read anything! Now she will look at pictures and listen to words. She even has a favorite book: Cats Do, Dogs Don't. Meanwhile Ben is trying to read anything and everything and it's amazing how fast he is picking it up... although I couldn't help but chuckle a few weeks ago when I overheard him sounding out the KFC sign as we drove past!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben takes his reading seriously. He will fit right in at my house where it's OK to say "I didn't hear you. I was reading."

I remember when my children began reading road signs. How exciting!

Anonymous said...

Good job Ben! And Izzie too! I remember how early our kids wanted to start reading and how excited they were when they could sound out the words. One of the most important skills in the world - eh! teachers! Now if I could only talk properly.
Lots of love.
Grandma Val

Anonymous said...

I agree; reading is a great thing to do. Most of my best students are readers! It helps everything from their vocabulary to thinking skills. I can remember as a kid weekly trips to the library in the summer and reading all summer long. In fact, I still read all summer long!

Chris and Julee said...

KFC - too funny. Go, Ben, go. That Starfall website has been gold for Sam. Today he was looking at some text on a stroller and saying, "There's a lowercase 'a' and a lowercase 'n' and a capital 't'." It's so fun!

-Julee

Anonymous said...

Can Ben read? That's fast, isn't it? Wow! He must be so smart. Can Ben remember anything in Korea? I guess that it is hard because he was so young. They look so sweet. Time flies