Ben has a book he likes to read called Some Smug Slug, in which a slug makes his way up a slippery slope despite the warnings of the other animals. The slope turns out to be a toad, and the last line in the book is, "Such a succulent slug." This, of course, led Ben to wonder what succulent meant, and since then he has been asking if he can eat some "succulent pickles." I made about 15 jars of dill pickles with dill, cucumbers and garlic from our garden (didn't grow the vinegar or salt!) and I think we're down to about 10 already - even though they're not officially ready until the end of September! Everybody in our family likes them and we can finish a whole jar in one sitting. In fact, Ben would probably eat a whole jar himself if I let him. Maybe he'll have to get pickles in his Christmas stocking like we got when we were little!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Some Smug Slug
I encountered this little guy one night in the bathroom. I was going to flush him, but then I thought it would be interesting to take his picture... and then by the time I got finished doing that I didn't have the heart to flush him so I carried him outside and flung him as far away as I could. A few nights later Grandma Ann was glad she turned on the light before sitting down, and some smug slug (the same or different?) went for a swirl.
Ben has a book he likes to read called Some Smug Slug, in which a slug makes his way up a slippery slope despite the warnings of the other animals. The slope turns out to be a toad, and the last line in the book is, "Such a succulent slug." This, of course, led Ben to wonder what succulent meant, and since then he has been asking if he can eat some "succulent pickles." I made about 15 jars of dill pickles with dill, cucumbers and garlic from our garden (didn't grow the vinegar or salt!) and I think we're down to about 10 already - even though they're not officially ready until the end of September! Everybody in our family likes them and we can finish a whole jar in one sitting. In fact, Ben would probably eat a whole jar himself if I let him. Maybe he'll have to get pickles in his Christmas stocking like we got when we were little!
Ben has a book he likes to read called Some Smug Slug, in which a slug makes his way up a slippery slope despite the warnings of the other animals. The slope turns out to be a toad, and the last line in the book is, "Such a succulent slug." This, of course, led Ben to wonder what succulent meant, and since then he has been asking if he can eat some "succulent pickles." I made about 15 jars of dill pickles with dill, cucumbers and garlic from our garden (didn't grow the vinegar or salt!) and I think we're down to about 10 already - even though they're not officially ready until the end of September! Everybody in our family likes them and we can finish a whole jar in one sitting. In fact, Ben would probably eat a whole jar himself if I let him. Maybe he'll have to get pickles in his Christmas stocking like we got when we were little!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ooh, Natalee, a picture of a slug! Of course, aren't you the one who sat down on the trail beside a snake to illustrate in the picture how long he was? All kidding aside, we all really enjoy your pictures. You are so creative and talented.
Does anyone besides me notice what is happening here? In the previous post, I was the heroine keeping the kids. Now I'm the bad guy who flushed the slug. Wouldn't YOU have flushed the slug? Love you all.
I do even worse things with slugs especially when they eat up my nice flowers. The kids will tell you all about what to do with cutworms and scissors. Enough said. I really am a sweet little old lady.
Grandma Val.
In victoria we have slugs that emit a sedative in their slime, so anything that tries to eat them promptly fall asleep. We often see toads or snakes sleeping soundly with a slug hanging out of it's mouth trying to slither away. wierd little survivial technique...
Karen
Post a Comment