Monday, September 07, 2009

Rhododendron Festival 2009

Warning: this post does not feature any pictures of Ben or Izzie. But it does have Morley.

After our visit in Oklahoma, Grandma came back with us to Tennessee. The journey was blessedly uneventful. No cancellations, reroutes or breakdowns. We even had a nice free snack at the USO while we were waiting.

Then, since we had Grandma at our disposal, we drove up to Roan Mountain during the Rhododendron Festival - just Colin and myself. (And Morley.) I had been waiting expectantly for the rhododendrons to bloom again. Last year - the first summer that I had "the good camera" - I was in Canada and missed it. Yes, I even marked it on my calendar.

The first thing we noticed as we approached the gardens was that it was very, very misty/cloudy. The second thing was that the lookout was already crowded with photographers. I was too shy to shoulder my way in so I surreptitiously took this picture and then we walked around with Morley for a while.

He posed nicely for me.

Look, I'm in a picture! My eyes may or may not be open though.


Since it was so foggy the panoramic views I was hoping to capture were not an option, but I did get some interesting close-ups.







Then we went back by the lookout and all the photographers were gone... but it was still foggy. There are mountains hiding somewhere out there in all the grey.

I took my favorite shot of the day on the way to the parking lot.

3 comments:

Grandma Ann said...

I'll bet it wasn't too hard to take advantage of Grandma and convince her to keep the kids, was it? Nice photo of my granddog. But I draw the line at a grandsnail!

patsy said...

Beautiful pictures! In my opinion, the fog even added to the appeal of some of the pictures. I especially liked the one with the railing on both sides.

Anonymous said...

I thought the fog added a nice element too, Patsy. One could get copies and make pictures for the living room.
And yes, Grandma Ann, it is just such a chore to watch those 2 sweet grandkids :) As you do too, I sure wish there were more opportunities. Right!
Grandma Val