Thursday, May 29, 2008

Daily Photos: Day 143



Sam and Ben having fun on the Sit 'n' Spin.


Departure day... we left at 5:30 on Thursday evening, just wanting to get a few miles under our belts. After half an hour we had to stop to let Julee drive because she didn't feel well. An hour later we stopped to eat dinner. We got back on the highway and Sam kept saying, "Mommy, Mommy." I turned around to see what he wanted and it turns out the poor little guy had thrown up all over himself and was helplessly holding his hands out in despair. We took the next exit and pulled into a gas station to clean up. I tried to take care of the carseat while Julee cleaned up Sam, but I kept gagging. Luckily Izzie chose this time to start screaming to be fed so I nursed her while Ben pretended to drive the car. Then I smelled something - other than vomit, that is. When I told Ben we needed to go inside and change his diaper he started protesting and somehow managed to fall on the steering wheel and honk the horn with his face... Finally we got everyone fed and cleaned (as much as possible) and comforted.

Back on the road again we breathed a sigh of relief when they were all asleep. Our plan was to carry them into the hotel while without waking them, but as we pulled in Ben woke up. I told Julee I'd grab him and take him in so he wouldn't disturb the others, but by the time I wrestled him out of his carseat it was too late. Julee drove around the parking lot trying to get Sam and Izzie back to sleep while I checked in with a crying and disoriented Ben. When I went back to the car Sam and Izzie were both still crying. Fortunately all the children went to sleep quite easily once we were in the hotel. Perhaps not the most promising start, but a start nonetheless, and Julee and I were both excited about the next day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! The blog is back. I've been checking every day much like a child checks his Christmas stocking hoping something has appeared.

I eagerly await the next installment on 'the great adventure'.

Grandma Ann

Chris and Julee said...

Great pictures! I was hoping you would post trip photos. Of course, I'm partial to anything with Sam in it.
- C