Izzie got to ride in the backpack.
There were lots of displays and vendors, all related to hiking. We got free stickers, tattoos and various samples of bug repellent and sports drinks. The best free thing was a frisbee. There was a parade and a talent show, and like any good festival there were food booths with lots of sugary, greasy food at exorbitant prices. We actually had quite a nice lunch of BBQ - which is not a food I often eat. Canadian readers may be wondering what exactly BBQ is. In this region of the country BBQ is basically a sandwich of pulled pork and BBQ sauce, usually served with something like cole slaw, beans, mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese as a side.
At one point Colin suddenly said, "What's under... and gestured toward my leg. I lifted my knee expecting some sort of crawly bug, and instead saw this a mere inch or two from the leg hole of my shorts!
After lunch I decided I was thirsty and set off to buy some freshly squeezed lemonade. As I waited in line, though, I found something else that I HAD to try. And boy were they good!
The perfect combination of sugar and grease... deep fried Oreos! To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of Oreos - if you offered me one but then ate it yourself I would feel no sense of loss. But they are so much better when they are hot and deep-fried! Colin didn't enjoy them as much as I did, and Ben had a free sucker from one of the booths and didn't even want to try one, so I guess I am alone in my love for this new-found delicacy.

4 comments:
So Nat - what is the creepy crawly thing. I cannot tell for all the grass. I have some guesses but will wait to find out from you.
Love Mom
I have always said "dip anything in batter, deep fry it, and I'll eat it". I suspect I would join you in those Oreos Nat.
Love
Mom-in-law
p.s. Grandma Val: enjoy your company this summer!
It's an earthworm... probably 7 or 8 inches long, and it was moving at an unusually fast! Another couple of seconds and it would have been IN my shorts. I'm not a screamer when it comes to creepy-crawlies, but I let out a pretty surprised yelp!
You know if you click on the pictures you can see a bigger version, right?
And I looked up a recipe... may have to try it at home.
What Nat may not realize is that before she looked, the worm was not "an inch or two" away from her shorts. It was, in fact, a little way into the leg of her shorts. It backed off when she jumped.
C
Post a Comment