Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Winter Hike

Since Ben was out of school yesterday I had this crazy idea that we should do something special - like take a hike. I had in mind that we would see some breathtaking scenery, the kids would have some fun and then take a really long nap and I could do as I pleased while they slept. But of course it didn't turn out that way.
The scenery. Not bad so far, right? But oh, the pain that was inflicted to get to that point.

We were well-dressed for the cold weather on Roan Mountain, but I didn't take into account both Ben and Izzie having a really hard time walking in the snow and ice.

Ben, looking very cheerful.

Izzie, in particular, had a difficult time remaining upright. She was decidedly grumpy to begin with, and even more so after falling several times. Not that she ever fell right down, but she did spend an inordinate amount of time dangling from my right hand.
Look at those sad eyes. Mom, how could you put me through this torture?

It was not so much a peaceful hike as it was me literally dragging two crying and complaining kids halfway up the mountain. Yes, children, we're going to "enjoy" this hike even if it kills us.

Back at the car again, Ben perked up and insisted I take numerous pictures of his hat head.

(If you're wondering what kind of mother would make her children hike miles through ice and snow when they obviously didn't want to, let me put your mind at ease by telling you that we probably only made it the equivalent of around our block... and Izzie normally likes to hike - just not in the snow, apparently.)

4 comments:

Grandma Ann said...

Great story! Haven't we all been there? "You are going to enjoy this or else!"

See Ben's hair? That is why I rarely wear a cap. It's cute on him. . .

John B. and Valerie said...

Quite right Ann. I just laughed when I read that.
Grandma Val

patsy said...

Natalee, I have never entertained the thought that you weren't a good mother--you are one of the best! Any of us who are mothers can remember ideas that sounded like fun or a great time, and turned out to be the opposite. Later you can look back and laugh. I remember hearing a middle school student say, "We drove two hours for a picnic!" Her parents probably saw it as wonderful family time in the mountains.

Brian, Beth, Garrett, Lucy, Brooks and Deacon White said...

hahahaha...i'm just amazed that you would think to do this w/o colin. you're a GREAT mom simply b/c of that. that last pic of izzie is priceless to say the least.