Benjamin is quickly coming up on two months! He has already changed so much - he is much more alert and interactive than before and looking less and less like a newborn. These days he smiles and makes sounds when we talk to him. We have "conversations" with each other and while I wouldn't say he is laughing yet, he does make little giggling sounds and give me big toothless grins when I do "Head and Shoulders" with him. I try to do it in English and Korean and last night I had a dream that his first word was the Korean word for nose!The cloth diapering is going well, but we have decided to use disposables at night and when travelling for convenience and leak protection. (After going through 2 outfits one night I decided life would be simpler if we just had to change the diaper and not the outfits too. There's only so much you feel like doing at 2:00 am.)
The breastfeeding has all of a sudden resolved itself. I have no idea what actually made it get better, but I'm glad it did. Thank you to all those who were praying about it. I think my appetite is now larger than any time when I was pregnant. It takes a lot of energy to feed him, but it's amazing to think that even outside the womb his growth is intricately linked to my body. Sometimes it's hard to find time to eat all that I should. Colin tells me I need to "make eating a priority." He's right, of course. He's been wonderful. He'll prepare food and bring it to me - even cut it up if it needs to be cut, so that I can eat it one-handed while Ben is nursing. He also patiently comes to the rescue when I realize the glass of water, TV remote, book, tissue or whatever other item I want is on the other side of the room.
I have to admit I gave him a dirty look one day when he commented on how tired he was. 'Yes,' I thought (in my irrational sleep-deprived state of mind as if I were the only one suffering), 'but you can at least go back to sleep right after the baby wakes up. I'm the one who has to sit here with him sucking the life out of me!' But the truth of the matter is that I'm the lucky one because I can nap through the day when the baby naps, whereas he would get fired for napping at work.
Of course who has time for napping when you have to make eating a priority?
No comments:
Post a Comment